Monday, November 25, 2013

My Advice on a Website for Your Small Business



My current challenge, outside of school life that is, is building a website for my small business that works well and is...well cheap. Sounds easy right? it actually isn't too bad from what I've found so far and a number of services provide an easy way to do this. I'm just going to go ahead and give you my personal spoiler however, and tell you I'm choosing WordPress. We'll talk about why.



I want to be a developer genius. But I'm not, and to be perfectly honest, I don't have the time to learn how to be. It's hard. Lines of code and lots of mess. The point here is Drupal is out. While Drupal is an awesome open source program for developers, it is NOT for someone like me who needs a site now and has no idea about building.



I want a site that doesn't look like everyone else's. I was worried about the fact that I would end up using a template and have a similar site to everyone else. What I've discovered is that finding two sites that look alike are kind of like finding a set of twins: maybe you know one, but they're not that common. Even if you have a very similar site to someone else, there are millions of websites out there and probably no one will ever visit the two sites in the same day. No worries, use a template and make it your own.



SEO: I want it... What is it? The major reason that I chose WordPress is that search engine optimization works well here. Search Engine Optimization "is the process of affecting the visibility of a website or a web page in a search engine's "natural" or un-paid ("organic") search results." - WikiPedia
You can change page names, title and thread names, and add tons of plug-ins that will help you with the page. I know this is a bit general, but I'm still learning my self so the best I can do is really just point you to the all knowing YouTube and tell you to search "WordPress SEO." There is a wealth of information there.



Well, you're up to speed with me at least. As I go forward I plan to share more and I will be posting my new site onto my blog for all to see. Happy web developing everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment